This is a wonderfully easy stuffed pumpkin dish. While the main theme here is to have some fall flavors while camping, it definitely helps to get away from hot dogs! In fact, if you are out with some friends or extended family, this meal will be quite exceptional. The best part is that it takes little to know work. You can even do all of the work at home in preparation for the trip. So let’s class up our fall camping trip with these fire ring stuffed pumpkins!
Aside from being crazy easy to complete, this recipe also has a multitude of modifications that you can make. We have personally tried making this recipe completely vegan. We have added notes into the recipe below so that you can also have a vegan version. The modifications do not stop there though. We opted for sage, apple, and sausage stuffing. However, this would be equally as delicious with chorizo and manchego cheese to make it Spanish-inspired. What about some delicious turkey and mashed potatoes for a Thanksgiving flair. The options are truly endless. We would love to hear what you think would be a great stuffing in this recipe in the comments below or on our Facebook Page!
The tools for this recipe are crazy simple. All you need is a skillet, some tin foil, and some cooking spray. As we said above most of this recipe can be done in advance at home. If you plan ahead you can make the stuffing at home, prep the pumpkins, and even stuff and wrap them in tin foil. This will make this exceptional meal a breeze when you get there. The only other item that you will need will be a well-made fire with some coals to help cook around the fire ring.
When you get done setting the fire ring stuffed pumpkins to cook, try out our Pumpkin Delight Recipe in your Dutch oven. This will carry your pumpkin-themed camping meal to the max!
Fire Ring Stuffed Pumpkins
- Tin Foil
- 1 lb Italian Sausage Can be left out if you want this to be vegan
- 4 cups Rice You can use the rice of your choice but we prefer wild!
- 2 Apples Diced
- 1 cup Chicken Broth If going vegan use vegetable broth
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 tbsp Dried Sage
- 6 Small pumpkins
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Cooking Spray
- Cook rice per the package instructions and set to the side.4 cups Rice
- Cut an opening in the top of the pumpkins, remove innards, and rinse out with water.6 Small pumpkins
- Brown the Italian sausage in the skillet and make sure that it has been crumbled.1 lb Italian Sausage
- Dice apples, then combine everything except the pumpkin together in the skillet to warm.1 lb Italian Sausage, 4 cups Rice, 2 Apples, 1 cup Chicken Broth, 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup, 1 tbsp Dried Sage
- Add salt and pepper to taste.Salt and Pepper
- Place the filling into the pumpkins.
- Remove a piece of tin foil large enough to wrap around the pumpkin. Spray foil with cooking spray. Place the stuffed pumpkin in the middle of the tin foil and wrap to ensure it is completely covered.Cooking Spray
- Place in the coals and not the direct fire. We like to place them around the fire ring.
- Rotate the pumpkins a quarter turn about every 5 to 10 minutes and let cook for 40 minutes.
- When done the pumpkins will be firm. However, you should be able to easily pierce them with a fork.