You don’t have to leave behind your Friday night faves when you head out camping. Why not treat yourself with these delicious campfire nachos either as an afternoon snack or as a full meal! The prep and cook times are quick which makes for a full meal for your group or family after a long day out and about. Not to mention that the delicious smell may bring some of your camping neighbors to your site! It is always fun to make new friends while out camping.
- Campfire or Grill
- Dutch Oven
- Holding Bowl
- Parchment Paper
- 1 bag Tortilla chips Your preference on flour or corn!
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 pkg Taco Seasoning
- 1 bottle hot sauce Your choice but Tapatillo or Cholula work great!
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 oz Shredded cheese Your choice on cheese but cheddar, Mexican blend, pepper jack, or monterey jack are delicious.
- 1 lb Ground beef Trade for turkey, pork, or chicken
- 1 pkg Sour cream
- 1 pkg Salsa Salsa of your choice or Pico de Gallo
- 1 Onion Diced
- 1 Bell pepper Red, Green, Yellow, or Orange diced
- 1 bunch Cilantro Rough chop
- 1 Lime Small and in wedges
- 2 Avocados Cubed
- Start your fire and place your Dutch oven over coals to bring to temperature
- Lightly oil the bottom of a large dutch oven, to prevent the onions from sticking.1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Place diced onions into the heated dutch oven and cook until translucent. After about three minutes add diced peppers to dutch oven.1 Onion, 1 Bell pepper
- After another four minutes add ground beef to the dutch oven and brown. When complete add the taco seasoning and water per package directions.1 pkg Taco Seasoning, 1 lb Ground beef, 1/4 cup water
- Once meat, onions, and peppers have been properly seasoned remove from Dutch Oven and place in holding bowl.
- Place parchment in bottom of Dutch Oven. Then layer tortilla chips, meat/veggie mixture, and cheese till all of the chips and cheese have been used.8 oz Shredded cheese
- Place the Dutch Oven back on the coals of the fire with the lid on. Place a few coals on the top of the Dutch Oven to heat from the top. Let sit for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the fire and spread hot sauce, cilantro, lime, sour cream, avocados over the top of the chips.1 bottle hot sauce, 1 pkg Sour cream, 1 bunch Cilantro, 1 Lime, 2 Avocados
- Devour while hot and serve with your choice of pico de gallo or salsa.1 pkg Salsa
Tried this recipe out camping this weekend and it was quick, easy, and a big hit with the kids.