Now we love fantastic Fish and chips. Most people search high and low to recreate that delicious British seaside meal and staple. Here in the states, there are few places that truly capture the deliciousness of that flaky fish wrapped in newspaper that our British friends get across the pond. We have found at least one place near us where it is as close as it can be. How are we to fill that fish and chips desire while out camping? Well, with the Fisherman’s Perch and Chips of course!
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Learn More Now! Also, please consider subscribing to OutdoorGearWeb
While this recipe does not use the traditional cod or haddock, we find that the perch holds up well. This coupled with the seasoning mix provides a delicious fireside meal to enjoy with your fishing buddies. Finally, add in your favorite french fries to complete the meal!
So get out on the lake. Reel in those perch. Then get to cooking this delicious Fisherman’s Perch and Chips!
You will need a dutch oven and a cast-iron skillet for this recipe. Having both of these well seasoned will add some delicious flavor to the fish and french fries as well. Take your time and season your cast iron products before heading out to the lake. The time put in upfront will pay off multiple times in the food you cook and eat. This is especially the case in the Fisherman’s Perch and Chips!
Fisherman’s Perch and Chips
- 12" Cast Iron Skillet
- 12" Dutch Oven
- Campfire or Camp Stove
- Heat resistant gloves
- 2 eggs Large or Extra Large
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 bottle canola oil You will need enough oil to just cover the fish. If frying at same time bring enough oil to cover the fish and the french fries
- 3 lbs perch Feel free to use any lake fish that you have caught
- 1 bag french fries Your favorite brand and style
- 1 small wedged or thinly sliced lemon
- tartar sauce or your favorite fish dipping sauce
- Prep your freshly caught Perch and create filets
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg2 eggs
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, paprika, garlic powder and old bay seasoning.3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup cornmeal, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp paprika, 3 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- Add oil to dutch oven and heat in prep for cooking french fries.
- Dip fillets in eggs, then roll in flour mixture. Use the two hand method hear so that you do not get a clumpy hand!
- Cook french fries to package instructions in the pre-heated dutch oven.
- Add 1/4 inch of oil to a cast iron skillet.
- Fry fillets in oil for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. When it flakes into sections, it is completely cooked.
- Serve with completed fries, lemon, and dipping sauce of your choice! We prefer to slice our lemon thinly and lay it on the top of the fish.1 bottle canola oil